The klixon is the device that cuts off the power to your freezer’s compressor to limit its overheating.
You may need to change your fridge’s klixon if:
- Fridge compressor does not start
- The fridge is no longer cold
- An alarm sounds
- An error code is displayed on the fridge screen
The klixon is always located next to the compressor, generally placed at the rear, at the bottom of the device. It is often protected by a plastic cover.
The compressor in your refrigerator is the component responsible for cooling your food. It does this by compressing the refrigerant and making it hot and high pressure. This heat is then expelled out the back of the refrigerator, causing the refrigerant to become cool once again. This cycle continues, keeping your refrigerator cold. The klixon, also known as the overload protector, is a device that protects the compressor motor from overheating.
Over time, the klixon can fail, leading to a refrigerator that doesn’t cool properly. If you suspect the klixon is the problem, you can test and replace it.
Tools You’ll Need:
- Replacement klixon (compatible with your fridge model)
- Needle-nose pliers
How to Test the Klixon
- Unplug the Refrigerator: As always, the first step in any appliance repair is to unplug the appliance for safety.
- Access the Compressor: The compressor is typically located at the back of the refrigerator. You’ll need to move the fridge away from the wall and remove the lower back panel using a screwdriver.
- Locate the Klixon: The klixon is usually attached to the side of the compressor under a cover. Carefully remove the cover to expose the klixon.
- Remove the Klixon: The klixon is typically connected to the compressor by two wires. Use the needle-nose pliers to disconnect the wires, then pull the klixon off the compressor.
- Test the Klixon: With the multimeter set to the lowest resistance setting, touch one probe to one terminal of the klixon and the other probe to the other terminal. The multimeter should give a reading of zero or very close to zero. If the multimeter gives a reading of infinity, the klixon is faulty and needs to be replaced.
How to Replace the Klixon
- Purchase a New Klixon: Make sure to purchase a new klixon that is compatible with your specific refrigerator model. You can find this information in your fridge’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer.
- Install the New Klixon: To install the new klixon, simply connect it to the compressor in the same way the old one was connected. Then, reconnect the wires.
- Replace the Cover and Panel: Replace the cover over the klixon and replace the back panel of the refrigerator.
- Plug the Refrigerator Back In: Plug the refrigerator back into the power source and monitor it to ensure that it begins to cool properly again.
In conclusion, testing and replacing a refrigerator compressor klixon is a relatively simple task that can be completed with a few tools and a bit of time. If you feel uncomfortable performing this task, or if your refrigerator still doesn’t cool properly after replacing the klixon, it is recommended that you contact a professional.