It is possible that the microwave display no longer works, in this case you will need to check the settings of the display.
To open the microwave safely, it will be necessary to discharge the capacitor to replace the electronic board, potentially the cause of the display failure.
The display of a microwave is an essential feature that allows you to control the various functions of the appliance, such as setting the cooking time, choosing a program, and seeing the time. When the microwave display stops working, it can be frustrating and perplexing. Here’s a closer look at why this might happen and what you can do about it.
A power surge or electrical outage can cause your microwave’s display to stop working. This could be due to a brief surge in power that overwhelms the electrical circuits, causing them to shut down to prevent damage.
If this is the cause, unplugging your microwave and then plugging it back in can often reset the system and get the display working again. In some cases, you may need to reset a breaker if the microwave has tripped it.
A microwave has a series of internal fuses. If one of these fuses blows, it could cause your microwave’s display to stop working. This is a protective measure to prevent further damage to the microwave.
A blown fuse needs to be replaced. Because microwaves store a significant amount of electricity even when unplugged, it’s recommended that fuse replacement be done by a professional appliance repair service.
Damaged Control Board
The control board is essentially the brains of your microwave. It sends the necessary signals to all the parts of the microwave, including the display. If the control board is damaged or malfunctioning, it may not send these signals, causing the display to stop working.
If the control board is damaged, it will most likely need to be replaced. This is a complex process that should be done by a professional.
In some cases, the problem might not be with the display itself, but with the touchpad. If the touchpad is faulty, it won’t send the necessary input to the display to show the settings you’ve chosen.
A faulty touchpad often needs to be replaced, and this should be done by a professional appliance repair technician.
Aging or General Wear and Tear
Over time, the components of a microwave can wear down. The display is no exception. With extensive use, the components that power and control the display may simply wear out and stop working.
If your microwave is old and has other ongoing issues, it may be more cost-effective to replace the entire unit rather than invest in repairs.
DISCHARGE THE MICROWAVE CAPACITOR
Before any intervention in the microwave oven, the parasitic filter and capacitor must be discharged.
To discharge the noise filter: Using an insulated screwdriver (or pliers), tap
- two plugs of the socket of your device (phase – neutral),
- then a plug and a hole in the center (phase – earth)
- and finally another plug and center hole (neutral-to-ground).
To discharge the capacitor
- Loosen the fixing screws and remove the cover of the device.
- Using insulated pliers, connect the two terminals of the capacitor to create a short circuit. There may be a spark, which means the capacitor is discharged.
In conclusion, there are several reasons why your microwave’s display may stop working, ranging from simple issues like power surges to more complex problems like a damaged control board or touchpad. Always remember that dealing with electrical appliances can be dangerous. If you aren’t sure how to fix the problem, it’s best to consult a professional technician to avoid the risk of injury or further damage to the microwave.